Many people often wonder about the dangers of e-cigarettes, especially now more than ever after a man in America died when his vape pen exploded.
The case is currently making headlines around the world and it is thought to be the first death caused by vaping products in the US.
Tallmadge D’Elia died at his home in Florida after his vaping device blew up with fragments being projected into his skull. It was reported that he suffered burns to 80% of his body.
You may be asking yourself, how common are these incidents in Ireland?
Experts say that the type of vape pen he was using was known as a ‘mechanical mod’, which are very uncommon in Ireland. These kinds of pens do not use inner circuitry to regulate the voltage and most e-cigarettes in Ireland have more built-in safety features. However, like all electrical products, burns or fires can still occur if used incorrectly.
Lead officer for product safety at Chartered Trading Standards Institute, Mike Gardiner, says that “enthusiasts might experiment with different batteries and e-liquids to try and get the biggest vape. This can result in people building their own systems which can generate a lot of heat and then explode.
“That said, even an unmodified product can go wrong, as can any product containing a lithium-ion battery. And if a battery fails and explodes then obviously it’s an extra hazard if it’s in your mouth.”
How to Use Electronic Cigarettes Safely
–> Only use the charger the e-cigarette came with
–> Discard batteries if they begin to get hot
–>Don’t forget to plug e-cigarettes out when fully charged
–> Don’t leave them charging overnight
–> Avoid using them while they are charging
–> Don’t modify the product in any way
–> Dispose of batteries appropriately if they are damaged, leaking or wet
A report carried out by Public Health England in February noted that “exploding e-cigarettes can cause severe burns and injuries that require intensive and prolonged medical treatment, especially when they explode in users’ hands, pockets or mouths.
“Incidents are very rare, the cause is uncertain but appears to be related to malfunctioning lithium-ion batteries.”
However, the authors of the report declared that e-cigarettes still remain far safer than cigarettes as regular cigarettes cause many more fires and injuries.
It’s important to bear in mind that e-cigarettes are still 95% less harmful than smoking and have helped many people to quit the habit.
The post E-Cigarette Usage & Safeness appeared first on VIP E Cigarette.