False Allegations about e-cigarettes and vaping

It can’t be denied that we live in an age of peak access to information. But, unfortunately, this also means that we live in a peak age of misinformation. Add to this the fact that new technologies – such as vaping – are often greeted with mistrust and suspicion, and it’s sadly inevitable that vaping falls foul of false allegations.

With numerous studies showing that passive vaping is safer than traditional smoking, and even that passive vaping is less harmful than passive smoking, the world would be a better place if every smoker made the switch.

However, whether it’s through misguided good intentions, paranoia, vested interests or misinterpretation of evidence, many false allegations have emerged regarding vaping.

Here is where we address a sample few…

Myth: Vaping is a Gateway to Smoking

Fact: Vaping discourages Smoking

Let’s start with speculative analysis before moving onto the cold, hard numbers. The theory goes that vaping will encourage people (especially youths) to start smoking, what with its sweet taste, more affordable price and less antisocial image. To that we would ask – if vaping has all of these advantages, why would anyone start vaping and switch over to cigarettes?

Add to that argument the UK’s Office of National Statistics survey on that subject: It found that a mere 0.1% of vapers (roughly one in a thousand) hadn’t smoked before. The other 99.9% are former or current smokers working on kicking cigarettes for good.

Myth: Vaping is Unregulated

Fact: VIP Welcomes Appropriate Regulation

While vaping is obviously a new phenomenon, some have expressed concerns about the practice and especially the proliferation of some cheaper, potentially less reliable products. We have said repeatedly that VIP products are not for children, and our products are dependable and safe, and we welcome transparency and some appropriate regulation.

Myth: Passive Vaping is Like Passive Smoking

Fact: There is no Comparison

One of the hot-button arguments about smoking is that it’s not just harmful for the smoker, but for those around them. And since vaping is frequently confused with smoking, the same argument is often repeated for the different product.

However, unbiased scientists have concluded that the vapour from vaping doesn’t compare to the smoke from cigarettes. Or, to quote this American academic study: “For all by-products measured, electronic cigarettes produce very small exposures relative to tobacco cigarettes. The study indicates no apparent risk to human health from e-cigarette emissions based on the compounds analyzed.”

Or, as this headline in the New York Daily News bluntly puts it: “Secondhand vapor from e-cigarettes contains nicotine but not other toxins”.

Myth: Vaping is as Antisocial as Smoking

Fact: Vaping Smells Completely Different to Smoking (and doesn’t cause Litter)

Let’s look at the reasons why smoking is antisocial: Obviously there’s the passive smoking issue (discussed above); there’s the awful smell, and of course, the litter.

Vaping can smell like just about any flavoured water – coffee, blueberries, strawberries, you name it. (When was the last time somebody complained about the smell of blueberries?) Additionally, did you know that a cigarette butt takes a whopping ten years to decompose? We know that smokers have the best of intentions, but even the most vigilant may not be able to monitor 10, 20 or more little cigarette butts a day (as one look at the floor of a smoking area will tell you).

VIP welcomes debate, studies, discourse and even an appropriate degree of regulation. So please, for the sake of everyone who wants to make the switch from smoking to vaping, try to consider all sides of the story before tarring smoking and vaping with the same brush.

You have successfully subscribed!
This email has been registered